School Board Members
School board members, elected from and representing their local communities, are entrusted with the responsibility of policy making and promoting educational excellence for their local school district. In Texas, school board members receive no compensation except the satisfaction derived from rendering an important public service. Email sent to Trustees regarding district business is subject to disclosure under the Texas Public Information Act. Therefore, the confidentiality of your communications cannot be assured.
School Board Mission & Goals
Marfa ISD Mission Statement
Marfa ISD will involve students, families, and the community to provide superior educational opportunities for lifelong learning.
On August 6, 2017 the Marfa ISD Board of Trustees approved the following goals for the district.
Areas of Focus
- Create a high quality academic learning environment.
- Meet or exceed state and federal accountability measures.
- Create a curriculum that closes the gap and improves achievement.
- Balance the general operating budget.
- Generate funds through alternative means.
- Professional Development
- Recruit and retains high quality staff and faculty.
- Cultivate teacher leaders to mentor.
- Ensure each employee will have a job description and a performance review as per board policy.
- Community and Communications
- Report regularly on website usage and strive to improve throughout the year.
- Establish and maintain a functioning Parent-Teacher Organization.
- Strengthen and improve all community and parent supported booster programs including band, athletics, etc.
- Maintain a working relationship with Marfa Education Foundation.
- Culture and Climate
- Build positive attitudes of high expectations and honor with both faculty and students in all grade levels.
- Connect unique community resources with academic goals.
- Improve participation rates in extracurricular activities.
- Strive to ensure a safe and drug-free campus at all times.
Board of Trustees Elections
Elections are held every year in May on the State Uniform Election Date (usually the 2nd Saturday). Places 1, 2, and 4 will be up for election in 2017. If someone is appointed during the middle of a term, they must have their name on the ballot at the next regular election. For information on qualifications for school board members please see Board Policy BBA. For other information, contact the superintendent’s office.
For information about school board elections, click Election Timeline or contact Ms. Hinojos at the Superintendent’s office.
Board Member Code of Ethics
Board Trustees promote the best interests of the District as a whole and, to that end, shall adhere to the following ethical standards:
EQUITY IN ATTITUDE
I will be fair, just, and impartial in all my decisions and actions.
I will accord others the respect I wish for myself.
I will encourage expressions of different opinions and listen with an open mind to others’ ideas.
TRUSTWORTHINESS IN STEWARDSHIP
I will be accountable to the public by representing District policies, programs, priorities, and progress accurately.
I will be responsive to the community by seeking its involvement in District affairs and by communicating its priorities and concerns.
I will work to ensure prudent and accountable use of District resources.
I will make no personal promise or take private action that may compromise my performance or my responsibilities.
HONOR IN CONDUCT
I will tell the truth.
I will share my views while working for consensus.
I will respect the majority decision as the decision of the Board.
I will base my decisions on fact rather than supposition, opinion, or public favor.
INTEGRITY OF CHARACTER
I will refuse to surrender judgment to any individual or group at the expense of the District as a whole.
I will consistently uphold all applicable laws, rules, policies, and governance procedures.
I will not disclose information that is confidential by law or that will needlessly harm the District if disclosed.
COMMITMENT TO SERVICE
I will focus my attention on fulfilling the Board’s responsibilities of goal setting, policymaking, and evaluation.
I will diligently prepare for and attend Board meetings.
I will avoid personal involvement in activities the Board has delegated to the Superintendent.
I will seek continuing education that will enhance my ability to fulfill my duties effectively.
I will be continuously guided by what is best for all students of the District.
2017-2018 School Board Meeting Dates
September 18, 2017
October 16, 2017
November 13, 2017
December 18, 2017
January 15, 2018
February 19, 2018
March 26, 2018
April 16, 2018
May 21, 2018
June 18, 2018
July 16, 2018
August 20, 2018